If your Kwikset door handles and/or other hardware are filthy, then you sure need to clean them to restore their shine.
But you probably don’t know the cleaning method that works best—depending on the material your door handle is made of. If that sounds like you, then you want to keep reading as this article contains valuable information for you. Let’s begin!
To clean a Kwikset door handle and other hardware, Kwikset recommends using mild soapy water and then dry the hardware with a soft cloth/towel—after cleaning.
If you’re looking to learn more about cleaning door lock handles (smart locks inclusive) and other hardware, see our detailed guide below.
How to Clean Door Locks Handles/Hardware
Door lock handles (and other hardware) could either be made of brass, copper, pewter, chrome, nickel, etc. And their cleaning methods differ—since the materials are not the same.
So in this guide, we look at the different ways to clean door handles/hardware based on the materials they are made of. Let’s begin!
How to Clean Brass and Copper Door Handles
Though these two materials (brass and copper) are slightly different, their cleaning method is the same, as they’re both red metals.
However, before you clean your brass door handle, you need to determine what you are really dealing with. Brass door handles or knobs can either be solid brass or just another material plated with brass. A simple magnet test should help you out. The magnet won’t stick to solid brass.
The reason you need to first determine this before cleaning your brass door handle is that if it’s brass-plated, you should only clean with warm soapy water. Using abrasives on such materials can remove the brass plating and tarnish the hardware.
That said, here’s how to clean door handles made of brass and copper:
- Gently wipe your door handle with mild soap and water mixture to remove any dust, dirt, or debris. Ensure you dry them with a clean towel afterward.
- Get vinegar, flour, and salt, and then make a paste from the mixture of equal quantities of the three. That is, take out the same quantity of vinegar, flour, and salt and mix them to make a paste.
- Now gently rub the paste unto your door lock handle/hardware. Leave it for a few minutes and then rinse it off gently.
- Dry the handle with a soft cloth and wait to see your brass or copper door lock handle shine like new.
Read More: Best Smart Lock Door Handles. Smart locks give you the convenience of modern technology with the safety of classic locking door handles. We reviewed the best.
Can You Clean Brass with Toothpaste?
Yes, you can clean your brass door lock handles and other hardware with toothpaste. As mentioned, brass door lock hardware can be cleaned with a couple of common household products. This includes ketchup, vinegar, lemon, baking soda, and toothpaste.
To clean your brass handles with toothpaste, get pure white toothpaste and then apply a small portion of the paste to your brass handle and leave it there for a few minutes.
Now, rinse it off with clean water and polish the handle with a soft cloth.
How to Clean Pewter Door Handles and Hardware
Like silver and brass, pewter is also highly susceptible to tarnish. So, to keep your pewter door hardware in good shape all year round, you will need to clean it from time to time.
Pewter is made mostly of tin and could develop a dark patina over time—some people love the dark patina though.
So here’s how to clean door handles made of pewter:
- Remove any dust, dirt, or debris by wiping your door handle with mild soap and water mixture. Dry it with a clean towel afterward.
- Mix one cup of white vinegar with one teaspoon of salt. Add flour to the vinegar and salt mixture to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to the door handle/hardware and allow it for 15 to 60 minutes. Now rinse with clean water and dry with a soft cloth/towel.
How to Clean Stainless Steel Door Handles
Here’s what you need to know before cleaning your stainless steel door handles; never use chlorine bleach, steel wool, or other abrasives on your stainless steel door hardware. They can damage the finish of the handles and leave them really unappealing.
And with that being said, here’s how to clean your stainless steel door handles:
- With a soft cloth, clean the handle with mild soap and water mixture. Then rinse with clean water and dry it with a soft cloth/ towel.
- If you have some stubborn residue that needs to be cleaned, you can apply a mixture of vinegar and olive oil to remove it.
How to Clean Plated Chrome and Nickel Door Lock Handless/Hardware
Most internal door hardware are made with a polished chrome or nickel finish. In that case, they only need a light dusting every two or three months with a soft cloth.
If they are used as external door lock handles, clean with mild soapy water and then dry with a soft cloth. You can take the maintenance a step further by applying a light coating wax.
How to Clean Sterling Silver Door Lock Handles
Sterling silver is quite prone to tarnish—but thankfully, you can remove silver tarnish with a variety of store-bought cleaners. You can also use a couple of DIY methods to restore your sterling silver door handle and hardware. Here is one method that works fine:
- Fill an aluminum tray with a cup of baking soda and then put your door hardware into it. Add boiling water and leave it there until the water cools.
- Now remove your door handle and dry it with a soft cloth to restore the shine
Note: This method involves removing the hardware from the door, so you may have to refer to your user manual for instructions on how to remove and replace your door handle.
How to Clean Black Antique Door Locks Handles
To clean black antique door handles and other hardware, use a soft cloth to apply silicone spray polish on it. Do this regularly.
However, you need to pay attention to the screws on the door lock handle, as they may corrode or rust when exposed to the elements (high-moisture environment). You may use black paint on the head of the screws to prevent corrosion and rusting.
So that’s how to clean your Kwikset door handles and others (Schlage, Baldwin, Yale, etc.). Keep in mind that a Kwikset door handle (and other hardware) could be made of brass, copper, chrome, nickel, etc., and you should clean them with the appropriate methods.
If your Kwikset smart lock comes with a handle, you can as well clean it with any of the above methods to clean it. But ensure water and other mixtures do not penetrate the electronic components.