If you’re looking to connect your Schlage Connect Smart Deadbolt to Wi-Fi, then it’s safe to assume you want to enable remote access in your lock.
Of course, you can pair Schlage Connect to your smartphone via Wi-Fi and then control it from miles away—through a dedicated app.
However, unlike Schlage Encode, you can’t connect Schlage Connect directly to your home Wi-Fi but through a Smart Hub. This is because Schlage Connect uses Z-Wave or Zigbee as its communication protocol, so to connect it to Wi-Fi, you need a smart hub to translate/interpret data between the different communication protocols—Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, and Zigbee.
With that being said, let’s consider the steps to connect your Schlage Connect to Wi-Fi via a hub.
Connecting Schlage Connect to Wi-Fi
Table of Contents
The first step is to get a hub compatible with Schlage Connect. As of now, hubs that work best with Schlage Connect are Samsung SmartThings, Wink, and Nexia. Next, ensure your smartphone is compatible with the hub you purchased—SmartThings, Wink, and Nexia are compatible with android and iOS devices.
Yes, you need to ensure your phone is compatible with the hub, as you’ll have to install the hub’s app on your phone—where you can operate your lock from miles away (remotely).
Assuming you purchased a SmartThings Hub, here are the steps to pair your Schlage Connect Smart Deadbolt with SmartThings—for remote access:
- Download and install the SmartThings app on your phone. The app is available and on Google Play and App Store (Apple).
- Open the SmartThings app on your phone and tap on My Home.
- Under Things, select Add a Thing. The SmartThings LED will blink green, showing that it’s in Pairing Mode.
- Now press the Schlage button on your Schlage Connect Lock. Next, enter your current Programming Code and then press 0. The lock will beep and blink green, indicating that the pairing process was successful.
- Return to your mobile device (on the SmartThings app). The SmartThings app will indicate that it has found the Schlage Z-Wave lock. Now tap on Rename Device and rename it to Front Door or any name that can help you identify the lock easily. Next, click Save.
- The SmartThings app will indicate that it has successfully paired the Z-wave lock. Now tap on OK to complete the process.
So that’s all about pairing a Schlage Connect Smart Deadbolt with Samsung SmartThings. Follow other directions in the app to operate your lock via the app.
With your lock connected to SmartThings and the SmartThings Hub installed on your phone, you can access your Schlage Connect remotely, so long as SmartThings is connected to your Home Wi-Fi.
That is, your Schlage Connect Deadbolt now functions over the internet via a Wi-Fi connection supported by the hub. And you can lock and unlock the lock, add/delete access codes, check battery level, and more—via the SmartThings app on your phone.
Keep in mind that you can’t operate Schlage Connect remotely with the Schlage Home app. Only the connected hub’s app works with Schlage Connect.
Note: Schlage Connect is compatible with other hubs—Wink, Nexia, etc. Be sure to follow the integration instructions on any compatible hub you have.
What’s more, you can also connect your Schlage Connect to Google Home or Alexa for voice control.
Keep in mind, connecting to Google or Alexa also requires a hub and SmartThings and Wink works fine.
Frequently Asked Question About Schlage Connect
Where can I find Schlage Connect Programming Code?
Check the sticker on the back of your User Guide or the back of the Alarm Assembly for the default Programming Code.
How can I enable/disable Vacation Mode on Schlage Connect?
To disable Vacation Mode, press the Schlage button and then enter your current Programming Code. Next, press 4 to complete the process.
To disable Vacation Mode, press the Schlage button and then enter your current Programming Code.
How do I turn on/off the Schlage Connect Alarm?
To turn on the Alarm: Press and hold the Schlage button on the Interior Assembly for about 5 seconds. Release the button after the first flash.
To Turn off the Alarm: Press and hold the Schlage button on the Interior Assembly for about 6 seconds and then release the button after the second flash.
How can I enable auto-lock on Schlage Connect?
Press the Schlage button, enter your current Programming Code and then press 9 to enable auto-lock.
How can I add/delete User Codes on a Schlage Connect Touchscreen Deadbolt?
To add a User Code:
- Press the Schlage button and then enter your 6 digits Programming Code.
- Press 1 and then enter the new User Code (4 to 8 digits).
- Re-enter the new User Code to complete the process.
To delete a User Code:
- Press the Schlage button and enter your current Programming Code.
- Press 2 and then enter the User Code to be deleted.
- Re-enter the User Code to be deleted to complete the process.
So that’s how to connect your Schlage Connect Smart Deadbolt to Wi-Fi for remote access. As mentioned, Schlage Connect can’t be connected directly to your home Wi-Fi, so you need a smart hub to aid the connection.
And you can only operate the lock remotely through the hub’s app on your mobile device. That is, if you’ve connected your Schlage Connect Smart Deadbolt to SmartThings, you can only control it via the SmartThings app on your phone.
So keep in mind that Schlage Connect doesn’t work with the Schlage Home app for remote access whatsoever.