Are you looking to purchase an August smart lock with its Wi-Fi Bridge and are wondering how they work together? Then you want to keep reading, as this post has the right answers you need. Let’s dive in!
Here is the short answer to what August Connect does:
August Connect is a Wi-Fi Bridge that aids the connection of your August smart lock to a Wi-Fi network—for remote access and voice control. It’s required for Bluetooth-based August smart locks, as they can’t connect directly to a Wi-Fi network.
Because you have to connect your Bluetooth-based lock to the internet (via Wi-Fi) for remote access, you need a Wi-Fi Bridge to translate data/signals between the different communication protocols.
Once connected, you can lock and unlock your August lock remotely via the app on your phone, view your lock’s status, change access codes, and more.
Note: You don’t need Wi-Fi Bridge if you have the August Wi-Fi smart lock, as it can connect directly to your smartphone and other Wi-Fi-based smart systems for remote access.
How to Set Up August Connect (Wi-Fi Bridge)
- Step 1: Turn on Wi-Fi on your devices and ensure your smartphone is connected to your home Wi-Fi network.
- Step 2: Ensure your August Smart Lock is correctly installed and active.
- Step 3: Plug your August Connect into a power outlet. For best performance, plug it close to your August Smart Lock—within 15 feet.
- Step 4: August Connect will flash green after plugging in, if you don’t see the green flash after some time, press the button on your August Connect and hold it for about five seconds.
- Step 5: Open the August app on your phone and navigate to the side menu (located upper left). Next, click on Set Up New Device and then select Set Up an August Connect.
- Step 6: Choose the August lock you want to pair with your Wi-Fi Bridge. Next, the system will prompt you to choose your home Wi-Fi network.
- Step 7: Choose your home Wi-Fi network to pair your August Connect to it. The app will check your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals; if they’re good, then you’re done with setting up your August Connect. Follow any other on-screen instructions on the app to complete the setup.
Note: August Connect only works with a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network, and the compatible smartphones are Android and iOS models. More so, if your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals are low, the setup may fail. Go here to learn how to troubleshoot low Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals.
August Connect Settings Not Working on Your iPhone?
If the regular method of setting up August Connect on iOS devices fails, then it appears your iPhone has the latest iOS version. Here’s how to set up August Connect on your iPhone (with the latest iOS version):
- Step 1: Put your August Connect on Setup Mode—by pressing and holding down the August Button for about 5 seconds. A green light will flash slowly afterward, indicating your device is on Setup Mode.
- Step 2: Open the August app on your phone to start the in-app setup. Next, the app will prompt you to choose the lock you want to pair with.
- Step 3: The app will prompt you to verify the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to. You should choose 2.4GHz only.
- Step 4: Click Next to allow the app to configure your selected Wi-Fi network.
- Step 5: While the app hangs on configuring Wi-Fi, Force Quit your August app. Ensure you don’t press cancel or allow it to timeout.
- Step 6: Go to Settings on your iPhone (iOS device) and navigate to Wi-Fi. Next, scroll to where you have Set Up New Device. You should see your August Connect already added.
- Step 7: Click on your August Connect and it’ll usher in the setup flow.
So that’s all about setting up your August Connect on iOS devices.
If the setup fails, put your device on setup mode and repeat steps 6 and 7.
August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge Alternative?
As of now, it appears there’s no alternative to August Connect, as August clearly stated that you need its Wi-Fi Bridge to enable remote access in all August smart locks—except the model that comes equipped with a built-in Wi-Fi.
So if your August lock has no built-in Wi-Fi, you need August Connect to enable remote access and voice control via Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant.
Though August smart lock works with third-party hubs such as Samsung SmartThings and Wink, they don’t function as August Connect—Wi-Fi Bridge.
Does August Smart Lock work without a Wi-Fi Bridge?
The quick answer is yes. You only need the Wi-Fi Bridge to enable remote access and voice control. Other than that, August smart locks can still be operated via other means—smart keypad, Bluetooth, etc.
Can one August Connect work with multiple locks?
The best answer is no! August Connect is configured to work with only one August smart lock at a time.
You need to get a separate Wi-Fi Bridge for each August lock.
Does August Connect work with other smart locks?
No. August Connect is mainly designed to work with August smart locks. It’s not compatible with any other smart lock.
Does August Connect support all Wi-Fi networks?
No. August Connect doesn’t support all types of Wi-Fi networks but 2.4 GHz. So you need to ensure you have a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network to successfully set up your device and enable remote access.
How do I reset my August Wi-Fi Bridge?
With your August Connect (Wi-Fi Bridge) plugged into a power outlet, press and hold the Reset Button for 5 seconds and then release it. If you see a series of green flashes, it means the device is back to its factory settings and you can set it up again following the instructions above.
If the green flashes are quicker, it means the reset fails and you may have to repeat the process.
You may also read our article about using the right batteries on your August Smart Lock.
If you read this far, thank you for taking the time to read our blog and we hope it was helpful.
To recap, August Connect (Wi-Fi Bridge) is a smart device that lets you connect your August Bluetooth lock to a Wi-Fi network—for remote access, voice control, etc.
As you read above, the process involves using a compatible smartphone with the August app installed.
For seamless integration, you want to ensure you have the required Wi-Fi network and a compatible smartphone.