If you have acquired a previously owned electronic lock, you want to ensure you erase all existing codes, and factory resetting is the way to go.
On the one hand, you might want to reset your electronic keypad lock to troubleshoot common problems.
In any case, factory resetting your smart lock will erase all existing codes and settings, allowing you to reprogram the lock as you desire.
So in this article, I’ll walk you through the process of resetting your Schlage smart lock, Kwikset, Weiser, August, and other popular brands.
Ready? Let’s dive in! (Use the table of contents to jump to your lock’s brand/model).
Resetting a Weiser Smart Lock
- Step 1: Remove the battery pack.
- Step 2: Press and hold the Program Button while reinserting the battery pack. Do not release the Program Button until the lock beeps and flashes red. This should take 30 seconds.
- Step 3: Press the Program button again. If the lock beeps and flashes green (in about 20 seconds), it means the lock has been reset.
- Step 4: Perform the door handing process again to teach your lock the orientation of your door.
Not sure how to perform door handing on your Weiser Smart lock? Here’s how:
- Remove the battery pack and then press and hold the Lock Button while reinserting the battery pack.
- Do not release the Lock Button until the latch bolt moves on its own.
- If the latch bolt moves on its own as described above, then the door handing process was successful.
Resetting a Schlage Smart Lock
- Step 1: Ensure you have the factory preset codes available, as you’ll need them to reprogram your lock. Check the back of your lock’s Inside Assembly for all default codes.
- Step 2: Take off the battery cover (slight cover up to remove it). Next, disconnect the Battery Connector.
- Step 3: With the battery disconnected, press and hold the Schlage Button several times to discharge any residual electricity.
- Step 4: Press the Schlage Button and hold it—and at the same time replace the Battery Connector.
- Step 5: The green check mark on the face of the lock will flash three times. Now release the Schlage Button and replace the battery cover.
- Step 6: Complete the reset by pressing the Schlage Button and entering one of the factory preset codes.
Note: This reset method particularly works for Schlage Touchscreen Deadbolt—BE468 and BE469 models. Perhaps other Schlage locks may have a slightly different method of resetting, refer to your user manual for more detailed information.
Resetting an August Smart Lock
- Step 1: Ensure the August App is installed on your phone (compatible with Android and iOS devices).
- Step 2: Open the August app on your phone and navigate to the lock circle screen—the screen that shows whether your lock is locked or unlocked. Next, select the Gear Icon, which is the Settings menu.
- Step 3: Select the August lock you want to reset—that’s if you have more than one August lock.
- Step 4: Scroll to Factory Reset and then click on Reset Lock.
That’s all about resetting your August lock to factory default settings.
If you’re looking to reset an August lock previously owned by someone else, this method may not work for you. August recommends you contact the previous owner to authorize the resetting.
Resetting a Kwikset Smart Lock
- Step 1: Ensure your door is open to avoid being locked out.
- Step 2: Remove your lock’s battery pack. Next, press and hold the Program Button while replacing the battery pack.
- Step 3: Do not release the Program Button until the lock beeps and flashes red. This should take about 30 seconds.
- Step 4: Press the Program button again. If the lock flashes green and beeps twice, then it has been reset.
Depending on the model of your Kwikset lock, you may need to perform door handing again.
Note: This reset method works for most Kwikset SmartCode Deadbolts, refer to your user guide if it doesn’t work for you.
Resetting Baldwin Evolved Smart Lock
- Press and hold the Reset Button.
- Keep holding the Reset Button for 10 seconds until the lock beeps and flashes red.
- And that’s all about factory resetting a Baldwin Evolved Smart Lock.
Resetting a Yale Smart Lock
- Remove your lock’s battery cover.
- Remove one battery and then press and hold the Reset Button (located upper right—a little above the batteries).
- While holding the Reset Button, reinsert the battery. The lock will beep severally—12 times followed by another 3 beeps.
- Now wait for up to 10 seconds—the lock will beep twice, and that should complete the factory reset.
Resetting an Ultraloq Smart Lock
You can reset an Ultraloq smart lock via the reset button or U-tec app. Let’s start with resetting via the reset button:
- Locate the Reset Button. Depending on your lock’s model, the Reset Button can be found a little above the Battery Box, bottom of the Battery Box, bottom of the Interior Assembly, or at the side of the Interior Assembly.
- Push the Reset Button for about 3 seconds using the Reset Needle—until the lock beeps.
That’s all about resetting an Ultraloq Smart Lock via the Reset Button. To confirm if your reset was successful, use any code, keyfob, or fingerprint to unlock it. If it works, then the rest was successful.
That is, at default, any code or fingerprint can unlock an Ultraloq Smart Lock. You should program new unique codes to keep your lock secure.
Using the U-tec App to Reset an Ultraloq Smart Lock:
- Open the U-tec App on your smartphone and navigate to the Device List.
- Select the device you want to reset and then click on the Settings menu, which is the Gear Icon.
- Scroll to Advanced and then click on Delete and Reset.
- Return to the device list to confirm if the lock is removed. All codes and fingerprints will be erased—if the reset was successful.
Resetting a Lockly Smart Lock
- Ensure you have your Initial Code available as you’ll need it to reconnect your lock to the app. Check your VIP Card for your lock’s Initial Code.
- Now to reset your Lockly Smart Lock, press and hold the Reset Button (on the back panel of the lock) for about 3 seconds.
These steps should reset your Lockly Smart Lock.
You may also read our article about how to reset Trilogy T2 locks and Defiant electronic deadbolts.
So that’s it! Thank you for reading our blog.
I hope this article was helpful, and you actually found settings applicable to your lock’s brand. Maybe not—we’ll update the article to feature as many smart locks brands as possible.